Become a Driving Mentor
The Open Road Driver Training Programme helps former refugees who are working towards their Restricted or Full Licence. Having a driver's licence contributes to successful settlement in many ways like:
- Increased independence
- Transporting children to and from school
- Securing employment
- Social engagement and connection
Over the past 3 years we have supported over 600 former refugees to sit and pass their test.
Full training and induction with a qualified driving instructor is provided.
After the training you will supervise a learner driver in a dual-control car over a 12 - 16 week period or until they are ready to sit the test.
Driving Mentor Criteria
- All driving mentors must have a Full NZ Licence and have been driving for 2 years or more
- All driving mentors must agree to a "Fit & Proper Person" Police check
- Mentors are required to commit to 2 x 1 hours practice sessions per week with with their Learner
- All driving mentors will need a good level of English
- All mentors will be expected to abide by the rules and guidelines of the programme